Re: Efficient Floating Point Compression?!

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Efficient Floating Point Compression?!
Posted by:  Thomas Richter (th…@mersenne.math.tu-berlin.de)
Date: 2 May 2006

Hi,

> I am search for some informations about Floating-Point Compression.
> Want pack and unpack huge masses of Floating Point Numbers.

> Have anybody an Idea how to do this effectiv?
> - tools?
> - algorithms?
> - benchmarks?

Probability distributions? Any idea how your data looks like?

About the simplest thing one could come up with is to first develop
a suitable model for the exponents, then compress the mantissa within
a context driven by the exponent.

I'm sorry, I'm not aware of any ready-to-use tools for that.

So long,
    Thomas