Re: Ora 8i to Ora 9i move; PL/SQL compatibility

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Ora 8i to Ora 9i move; PL/SQL compatibility
Posted by:  Andy Hassall (an…@andyh.org)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002

On 17 Dec 2002 07:02:27 -0800, cosmi…@yahoo.com (cosmin ioan) wrote:

>we're trying to move (or rather, run) our many pl/sql packages from
>Ora8i (8.1.6 - 8.1.7) to Ora9i (latest) and are having some problems
>with the code.
>Is there a list of PL/SQL gotchas, things to be aware of when patching
>the backend to latest version?

I've not seen anything that breaks correct code, but the 9i PL/SQL parser is
stricter in some areas than the 8i parser so it may flag up some things you've
not spotted before.

Two concrete cases I've seen are:

* 9i flags up that the 'default' for a parameter differs between package spec
and package body.

* 8i silently allowed 'INTO' clauses when opening a dynamic ref cursor that did
not make sense; 9i correctly rejects them. (I have no idea what the code that
showed this was attempting to do, and I'm surprised 8i let it through
previously)

--
Andy Hassall (an…@andyh.org) icq(5747695)http://www.andyh.org
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space | disk usage analysis tool