Re: Oracle 9i database index

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Oracle 9i database index
Posted by:  Mladen Gogala (mgogala.SPAM_ME.N…@verizon.net)
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 02:55:20 -0700, KL wrote:

> Are there anyway to tell/check if the database performance issue relates
> to an inefficient  database index or not ?? We are running 9i. Many
> thanks. KL

You are using methodology called "BCHR" in which you assume the cause of
the performance problem and then try to prove that your assumption is
correct. It is a faith based methodology which works as well as prayers,
but without the therapeutic effect.
If you have a performance problem, it might be reasonable to first locate
the problem by using the event 10046 and address the particular problem
you're having. You may also try by repeating the following magic words:

Starlight, star bright,
the first table I access tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the performance I wish tonight.

If you repeat these words long enough, the performance of
your application will improve. I can guarantee that by mere
repetition of the words above, the problem will be gone on
July the 8th, 3007.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com