Re: Shadow Process on Dedicated Server

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Shadow Process on Dedicated Server
Posted by:  joel garry (joel-gar…@home.com)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009

On May 4, 11:16=A0am, chris <lazyboy.…@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have a simple question: =A0If I have a dedicated server config on 10g
> & already established a session to db through a terminal (of course,
> I'm running something on this session), would a server spawn another
> shadow process if I open another session on the same machine? =A0Could
> someone please let me know? =A0How does oracle dedicated server db know
> & handle multiple sessions on the same machine.
>
> TIA,
> -Chris

desc v$session, note there is a process id field you can use to probe v
$process (if my brain is working correctly today).

Also search for the term spawn process on asktom.oracle.com.  You can
spawn several processes before you even open another session.

The concepts manual explains some of this, but looks unclear and
simplistic to the point of wrong on your point.  It does correctly
point out that the specifics vary by platform.  You need things like
sysinternals or whatever it is called on Windows platforms to see
these things.  John gave a reasonable suggestion for unix.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"> The main reason behind the question is: