Re: Why does my browser not interpret the escaped HTML tags?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Why does my browser not interpret the escaped HTML tags?
Posted by:  Harlan Messinger (hmessinger.removethis@comcast.net)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004

sy…@yahoo.com (Robert Bowen) wrote:

>Hello peeplez. I have an odd problem. When I put the ANSI symbol for
>"less than" ("<"), the word STRONG and then the ANSI symbol for
>"greater than" (">") in my web page, followed by some text, then close
>the STRONG tag the same way, my text appears in bold. No problem.
>
>When I do the same things with the corresponding HTML tags (&lt; ,
>&gt; ) the tag is not interpreted, it is simply displayed:
>
><STRONG>text</STRONG>
>
>... the same thing happens with any tag. What do I have to do to make
>my browser (Firefox or Explorer) interpret the tag?
>
>Thank you,
>clueless ... I mean syg

First, that's not exactly "escaping". Escaping is preceding a symbol
with something that indicates that it should be interpreted in the
normal way instead of in a special way (or vice-versa, depending on
your poiint of view). You're replacing < and > altogether.

Second, that's what escaping is *for*: to avoid the treatment that
would otherwise be given to some symbol. If you are surprised that
escaping (or, in this case, replacement with entity codes) produces
different treatment, then you were missing the point, and leads to the
question: why were you using &lt; and &gt;, if you wanted the *same*
result as using < and > ?

--
Harlan Messinger
Remove the first dot from my e-mail address.