Re: Why does my browser not interpret the escaped HTML tags?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Why does my browser not interpret the escaped HTML tags?
Posted by:  Lars Eighner (eighn…@io.com)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004

In our last episode,
<77723de8.0409011007.20f64c…@posting.google.com>,
the lovely and talented Robert Bowen
broadcast on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:

> Hello peeplez. I have an odd problem. When I put the ANSI symbol for
> "less than" ("<"), the word STRONG and then the ANSI symbol for
> "greater than" (">") in my web page, followed by some text, then close
> the STRONG tag the same way, my text appears in bold. No problem.

> When I do the same things with the corresponding HTML tags (&lt; ,
> &gt; ) the tag is not interpreted, it is simply displayed:

><STRONG>text</STRONG>

That is exact what is supposed to happen.

> ... the same thing happens with any tag. What do I have to do to make
> my browser (Firefox or Explorer) interpret the tag?

You have to put the tag in literal "<" and ">".  The point of have
the character entities &lt; and &gt; is to allow you enter these
characters in text so they *won't* be interpreted as opening and
closing tag symbols.

--
Lars Eighner -finger for geek code-  eighn…@io.comhttp://www.io.com/~eighner/
      If it wasn't for muscle spasms, I wouldn't get any exercise at all.