Re: Quick encoding question

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Quick encoding question
Posted by:  Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpe…@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005

Ian Rastall wrote:

> If my site uses the US-ASCII character code, then does it render
> quicker if declared as UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, or US-ASCII?

Hardly. You could of course test this on various browsers, but there's
hardly any difference. Decoding UTF-8 is of course essentially more
complex than interpreting US-ASCII, but a UTF-8 decoder is very poor if
it cannot handle ASCII characters efficiently - the decoder can work
very trivially if the data contains ASCII only.

>  Everything that isn't US-ASCII is represented as an
> entity, so I could get away with any of them.

You could declare it as UTF-8 on the grounds that ancient browsers
(Netscape 4) do not interpret character references > 255 correctly
unless UTF-8 is specified. On the other hand, some even more ancient
browsers might refuse to recognize UTF-8 at all.