Re: reset button not working

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: reset button not working
Posted by:  Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpe…@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006

kashif_khan <kashifkhan12…@gmail.com> scripsit:

>                    can anybody please tell me why reset button is not
> working in the following code,

I'm rather sure it "works" for one value for "works", namely "acts according
to HTML specifications". The problem is probably that you expect it to do
something else.

> /></td>

When the user presses the button, all text fields in the form are set to
their initial (default) values as specified in the HTML code. I suspect that
you expect it to set them all to empty values - but that's not what the
specification says, and there is no way to do that in HTML.

> sorry for the long listing, but i think it was neccessary.

It wasn't. You could and should have posted the URL of a demo page.

P.S. A reset button almost never helps users but often hurts them. Don't use
it except in the rare case where you expect users _typically_ submit several
sets of data using the same form, and even then it's probably much better to
make the form handler send back a response page that contains feedback about
the submission (at least telling it was OK) and a fresh form for a new
submission.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/