Re: Ellipsis

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Ellipsis
Posted by:  Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpe…@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016

18.12.2016, 15:16, Stan Brown wrote:

> I've been validating some pages at validator.w3.org. It had a problem
> with … for the ellipsis character, and I can understand that
> since that's Windows character set, not iso-8859-1. So I changed them
> all to ….

That was a correct move in principle, though not really needed these
days. Browsers actually interpret … as the ellipsis character (and
this is even documented in HTML5). I don’t think you can find a browser
that doesn’t, except perhaps in a museum of technology.

> But I'm wondering about browser coverage. Is a significant number of
> users likely to see a garbage character now, instead of ellipsis?

No. I don’t think any user is.

> Should I just replace it with three dots instead?

A matter of style. The ellipsis character “…” is supposed to have dots
set more apart from each other than a sequence of three periods (FULL
STOP) characters, “...”, but this does not always happen. Apparently, in
a monospace font, it is just the opposite, very much so. Even in

Using the ellipsis character is fine if you have reasonable expectations
for having it rendered in a manner where the dots are spaced acceptably.

--
Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/