Re: Help! Crazy Font Sizes

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Help! Crazy Font Sizes
Posted by:  David Ross (nobo…@nowhere.not)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003

Kai Jaeger wrote [in part]:

> I am playing with setting font sizes in CSS using em as unit of
> measurement. All seems to be fine. Even Netscape Navigator shows the
> characters very similar to IE, what is not the kind if px is used!

The basic problem is that em is relative to the size of the font
in the parent element.  Although permitted, em (and ex) should
never be used to specify the size of the font.  After all, what do
you mean when you use em to specify the font-size for the body
element (parent to all other elements)?

Good HTML design -- design that considers the person viewing the
page (the end user) -- should use only relative or percentage
sizes for fonts, leaving the body of the page with whatever
font-size the user chooses.  That accommodates those users who are
visually handicapped and have to set special sizes, those users
who have larger or smaller monitor screens than we expect, laptop
users, etc, etc.

From the CSS1 specification (Section 6.1):
"Style sheets that use relative units will more easily scale from
one medium to another (e.g. from a computer display to a laser
printer). Percentage units (described below) and keyword values
(e.g. 'x-large') offer similar advantages."

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone snooping into your E-mail?
Use PGP.  See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>