Re: How can I give an element a semi-transparent background?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How can I give an element a semi-transparent background?
Posted by:  VidTheKid (vidthek…@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Aug 2006

Trond Michelsen wrote:
> I have a transparent PNG-image that I would like to display on top of
> the rest of the web page. I've already got this part working. But, I'd
> like the background (as in "the part of the image that is transparent"),
>  to be semi transparent instead.

Why not alter the PNG to have a semi-transparent background, instead of
fully transparent?  At the risk of answering my own question, IE 6 or
eariler would make such a PNG entirely opaque.  But that may be the
case already, depending on which transparency style your PNG uses.
8-bit PNGs have essentially the same capabilities as GIFs, except
without animation.  There is a 256 color limit, with "transparent"
counting as a color.  IE 6 displays these correctly.  There are also
32-bit PNGs, where each pixel can be any color at any opacity.  IE 6
renders these incorrectly, and the result is essentially the intended
image plastered onto a solid gray rectangle.  IE 7 promises to display
these images correctly.

I'd be glad to alter your PNG for you if you don't mind alienating IE 6
users.

--
Vid the Kid