Re: Web sites that discuss IE gotchas?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Web sites that discuss IE gotchas?
Posted by:  dorayme (doraymeRidTh…@optusnet.com.au)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006

In article <slrnep6cef.lth.n…@cookie.uucp>,
Neil Cherry <n…@cookie.uucp> wrote:

> I'm in the process of redesigning my web page and started working more
> with CSS. I have, what I think is, a nice web layout (I'm no expert so
> I could be wrong). When I tested it with Konqueror and Firefox it
> works well (a few minor problems) but when I test it with IE 6.0 it
> doesn't display or it jumbles everything up. I've tried using various
> examples (conditionals) to get around IE problems but they are causing
> more problems that they fix. I'd love to drop IE all together but it's
> around 33% of my traffic so probably not a good idea.
>
> Can anyone point me to site that explain how to design around IE's
> problems? I've googled but I seem to be getting dribs and drabs of
> information.

First thing to do is to check your site for errors, there a few
in both css and html on the "main" site in your sig, look up in
validators. The other thing, do you need to use xhtml? Usually
best to keep to:

        http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

There are a lot of problems with IE 6 and your best strategy is
to first get your code as kosher as possible. Beyond that, what
are the specific problems you have?

--
dorayme