Re: Web sites that discuss IE gotchas?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Web sites that discuss IE gotchas?
Posted by:  Neil Cherry (n…@cookie.uucp)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:38:34 +1100, dorayme wrote:
> In article <slrnep6cef.lth.n…@cookie.uucp>,
>  Neil Cherry <n…@cookie.uucp> wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of redesigning my web page and started working more
>> with CSS. I have, what I think is, a nice web layout (I'm no expert so
>> I could be wrong). When I tested it with Konqueror and Firefox it
>> works well (a few minor problems) but when I test it with IE 6.0 it
>> doesn't display or it jumbles everything up. I've tried using various
>> examples (conditionals) to get around IE problems but they are causing
>> more problems that they fix. I'd love to drop IE all together but it's
>> around 33% of my traffic so probably not a good idea.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to site that explain how to design around IE's
>> problems? I've googled but I seem to be getting dribs and drabs of
>> information.
>
> First thing to do is to check your site for errors, there a few
> in both css and html on the "main" site in your sig, look up in
> validators. The other thing, do you need to use xhtml? Usually
> best to keep to:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>        http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

This is a good suggestion, I'll fall back from XHTML 1.0 Transitional
to 4.01 strict and see if that loosens things up first and run my page
and the css through the appropriate tools to see how correct they
really are.

> There are a lot of problems with IE 6 and your best strategy is
> to first get your code as kosher as possible. Beyond that, what
> are the specific problems you have?

I'll get back to you as soon as I've checked the code (in a day or
two).

Thanks!

--
Linux Home Automation        Neil Cherry      ncher…@linuxha.com