Re: GET vs POST

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: GET vs POST
Posted by:  Jim Dabell (jim-usen…@jimdabell.com)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003

Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

> I'm still quite unclear as to what exactly the difference between
> METHOD=GET and METHOD=POST is for forms, even after looking in several
> books an on the web.  I'd appreciate any clarifications you could give me.

GET retrieves a resource from a server.  POST sends information to a server,
and (usually) gets a resource in response.

> I'm in a situation where I'd like to pass the elements of a Javascript
> date separately (year, month, date, hour, minute, second) to a CGI.  If I
> were to store these values in a hidden form and at some point submit that
> form, would I want the method for that form to be GET or POST?

It depends why you are doing it.  If the form handler is supposed to take
that information and store it in a database or something, then use POST.
If you are retrieving time-sensitive information, use GET.  If the amount
of information is 'large', then use POST as well, since you can't rely on
extremely long URLs to be handled correctly.

The HTTP 1.1 specification, RFC 2616 goes into more detail:

<URLhttp://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9>

--
Jim Dabell