Re: How to retreive the URL of the chosen (but non-exsisting) page after redirect?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How to retreive the URL of the chosen (but non-exsisting) page after redirect?
Posted by:  shimmyshack (matt.far…@gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007

On Nov 2, 10:14 am, "M@r(o" <m.hoef.…@lelystad.nl> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've got the following problem: When a visitor klicks a dead link he
> ends up on a 404-page like should be. On that page there's an
> opportunity to mail the webmaster (me) about the missing page. Most
> visitors don't describe the link or the page they came from
> (containing the dead link) so I really would like to prefill their
> email with the URL of the page that seems to be missing.
> All ideas are welcome...
>
> TIA,
> Marco

yeah you can use apache (if you use it) to prefill the details, or can
use php, or even javascript, but it all depends on whether the user
agent has sent the referer.

of course you could write an external javascript included on each page
of your site - since were on a js group - that parses the page for
urls, and does a HEAD using ajax, sending the results back to a page
on your site (which does exist) so you can get a database full of all
the things you need to fix!

Can you not use HTTrack (versions for linux or windows) or wget to
spider your site and find the naughty pages, assuming you dont use
javascript for all the links, (postback, spit \. )