Re: How to check PHP compatability?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: How to check PHP compatability?
Posted by:  Peter H. Coffin (hells…@ninehells.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:43:39 +0100, zeebop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some php files that form an application, and are running on
> Apache with PHP4.
>
> Before I migrate to PHP5 is there a way I can process the php files
> and check for any issues they might have?
>
> I have already migrated them to a test PHP5 environment, and they seem
> fine, but it would be great if there is a tool to run through them and
> validate.
>
> Is there a way of automatically checking for php references that are
> invalid in PHP5?

There are very, very few things that work in PHP 4 that do not work in
PHP 5. Almost all of the very, very few things are esoteric options that
almost nobody seemed to use anyway. The vast majority of changes are new
functions, new suites of functions, and occasional enhancements to
existing functions that are generally enhanced by adding new optional
parameters onto the end end of the list of already optional ones.

The list of incompatible changes is at

http://php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php

If you wrote the programs, anything in there that sounds familiar will
probably need to be checked. Most stuff won't.

--
"This system operates under martial law. The constitution is suspended. You
have no rights except as declared by the area commander. Violators will be