Re: Hiding two PCs on same LAN from eachother

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Hiding two PCs on same LAN from eachother
Posted by:  Ramsin G (ramsi…@SPAM-FREEiinet.net.au)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004

you can easily separate the two computer by giving them IP addresses in
different subnets.

for example: In a class C network with the default subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, the first three octects of the IP address are the Network ID
and the Last octet is the Host ID.

This means that 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 are on the same network, but
192.168.1.1 is on a different network.

If you have two computers on different subnets, they will not be able to
communicate to each other unless you enable the router to allow packet
forwarding between the two subnets.

Im not sure if normal everyday adsl or cable routers allow you to assign IP
addresses on different subnets. I only know of the common routers which have
dhcp and assign IP addresses to computers connected to them and the dhcp
assigns IP addresses all on the same subnet.

--
Ramsin G
ramsi…@SPAM-FREEiinet.net.au

Email Scanned with Norton Anti-Virus!!!
"Paul H" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have two home PCs (WinXP and WinME) sharing a broadband internet
> connection via a NAT router. I wan to make each machine completely
invisible
> to the other. The thinking behind this is, if one machine gets a
worm/trojan
> etc. the other machine will not get infected because there will be no
TCP/IP