Re: Does Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 run on Win 98 ?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Does Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 run on Win 98 ?
Posted by:  Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (usenet-20…@planetcobalt.net)
Date: 23 Sep 2006

kes <no-o…@no-where.dot.com> wrote:
> I've just gone through the ordeal of removing ZoneAlarm from my
> portable. (some crap about missing vsdata95.vxd during re-boot)
>
> I want to know if Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808  is OK for Win98?
> Also, any problems with uninstalling this, in case...?
> (In case you are wondering - yes, I am aware that Sygate has been
> taken over, and that its products are no longer being developed.)

You don't need any personal firewall on Windows 9x. Inbound control
isn't necessary because all you need to do for having all ports closed
is disable file and printer sharing. And outbound control is futile,
because Windows 9x doesn't have any security system that could even try
to enforce it.

cu
59cobalt

--
"Personal Firewalls are crap. Throw away any personal firewall. Personal
Firewalls are bad[tm]."