Re: Why is MS listening

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Why is MS listening
Posted by:  Christophe Vandeplas (christopheSP…@vandeplas.com)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007

Intuitive wrote:
> Microsoft is not spying on you.
>
> Nice observation; but they have better things to do with their time
> ...honestly, they do.
>
> "microsoft-ds" is the recent(ish) name given to the new rendition of the
>  old Server Message Blocks (SMB), which is Common Internet File System
> (CIFS).
>
> What runs on UDP port 4500? I have no idea.

That's also for IPsec. Port 4500/udp is used for passing trough NAT devices.
The data packets will not be encapsulated in ESP but in udp packets ofer
that port.

More info in:
RFC 3715 IPsec-Network Address Translation (NAT) Compatibility Requirements
RFC 3947 Negotiation of NAT-Traversal in IKE
RFC 3948 UDP Encapsulation of IPsec ESP Packets

--
mailto:christop…@vandeplas.com
http://christophe.vandeplas.com